Friday, November 30, 2012

The 12 Runs of Christmas

I stumbled onto Mark's great idea on Twitter the other day (@ marathoner #12runsofchristmas).  The 12 Days of Christmas, runner style.  Mark clearly welcomes all faiths in the challenge, so don't think you need to be Christian to take part in the running festivities.  The challenge is to start on Christmas Day, December 25th, and run at least 1 mile, the next day at least 2 miles, and so on until you get to 12 miles on January 5th.    This doesn't sound like that much running, but it actually works out to 78 miles in 12 days, and 63 of those miles are in the last 7 days.  I've never run 63 miles in one week or run everyday for 12 days straight, but it sounds like a fun challenge and I'm going to give it a try.  Hopefully I'll even find some crazy runners in the DC area that would like to run a day or two of the challenge with me.

This will be a pretty big bump in weekly mileage from my current training schedule, so I'm going to try to put in a couple big weeks in preparation for the challenge.  I like mixing up my training routine to keep things interesting, and I'm excited for a new challenge that I wouldn't have thought to try on my own.  Let me know if you plan to attempt the challenge, or one of the variations listed on Mark's blog!

Happy Holidays, and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment